here are the photos of phil’s boat

IMG_0305 IMG_0306 IMG_0309 IMG_0335 IMG_0336 IMG_0337 IMG_0338 IMG_0340 IMG_0341 IMG_0342 IMG_0363 IMG_0364 IMG_0365 IMG_0366 IMG_0368 IMG_0370 IMG_0372 IMG_0376 IMG_0377 IMG_0471 IMG_0472 IMG_0473 IMG_0478 IMG_0479 IMG_0580 IMG_0581 IMG_0582 IMG_0583 IMG_0591 IMG_0592 IMG_0593 IMG_0660 IMG_0882 IMG_0897 IMG_0898 IMG_1134 IMG_1136here are the photos of phil’s boat

 

 

  1. A free plan from Marine Modeling International Jan 2003 45ft Chesapeak Bay Work Boat (Pocomoko) prompted this build as a great classic work boat.

 

  1. after deciding that the boat was a bit small for my fat fingers & also not being able to make the planks I had the plan scaled up to 1in to 1ft.

 

  1. After laying the keel & bulkheads I laid some of the hull planks which proved to be a bit too much flex so I put in stringers at the same spacing I have used on a full size boat of the same construction, this worked out great so from then on all spacing & construction was as per a full size boat.

 

  1. Materials used for the hull planking was from an old pallet & the hard wood came from an old fence palling.

 

  1. Extra deck beams have also been added for the same reason as the stringers.

 

  1. Decking was next laid all DRY & covered with good masking tape this enabled the decking to be removed in one piece, put on the bench tape side down enabling it to be given a good coat of epoxy which works in between the planks & coats the inside of the deck to seal it while still wet the top side of the deck beams was also epoxy coated to stick the lot together in one go.

 

  1. Clamping the deck down was achieved by lots of strips of timber with foam on them to allow for any variation in thickness of the planks.

 

  1. After allowing a couple of days to dry all the clamping & masking tape was removed to revel a bleeding mess where the epoxy had mixed with the permanent marker from the edges of the planks, this all sanded out real easy thank goodness panic over.

 

  1. Hand / toe rails were added next this resulted in some head scratching before I came up with the strong back with pop sticks glued to it so allowing for the shape & lack of places to put on clamps.

 

  1. Dressing of the deck & cabin interior was done in the usual manner with a few tricks:- ventilators ex. Dolphin battery terminal covers with arrow blank down tubes & old micro wave mesh inside. Light shades cast in the top part of a white out bottle. Nav. & mast head lights ex. Old ball point pens with bullet casing bases. All light bulbs are 12v grain of wheat type run on 6v to give that old yellow type of light wires were replaced with old ear phone wire ( two wires in one sleeve which can be made to look like old external wiring, with no need to hide it). Fish boxes ex pop sticks, fish ex lures Gauges & wheel centre ex bullet casings the wheel centre just happens to have Winchester stamped on it!

 

  1. Propulsion: – “Dark Horse“ 700 motor with 4:1 gearbox power from a 6v 11ah jell cell to 50mm 4 blade propeller.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s